Thursday, May 2, 2019

Ecuador, Switzerland, Africa, and Colorado 2018

 
As indicated earlier, at the end of my 5 months of work in Ecuador I injured my shoulder in a body surfing accident on the coast, which required surgery upon my return to the U.S. I had to curtail my outdoor adventures as I spent almost a year rehabbing it back to normal (or as normal as one can be at 64 years of age).  Three years later, in January 2018, while working in Ecuador again, I fell in some nasty weather on Rucu Pichincha and severely damaged my other shoulder.  Having had a similar injury to the opposite shoulder, I knew what I had experienced--torn labrum, biceps tendon, and rotator cuff.  After coming off the mountain and enduring a painful, sleepless night I decided to see a physician at the University where I was working and he recommended an MRI.  I thought I should wait until I returned to the U.S. the following week, but he suggested that the imaging could be performed that afternoon and rapidly interpreted by a orthopedic radiologist.  I agreed and quickly had the visual confirmation of what I already knew--yet the MRI cost only $240 in Ecuador compared to over $2000 here in the U.S.  Good decision!  I returned to the U.S., gave my orthopedic surgeon the MRI and he suggested I should have had the surgery yesterday--in other words immediately.  So, back under the knife and painful, protracted, and punishing rehab for the next 12 months.  My grandchildren took turns distracting me while I endured the passive motion torture machine 6 hours a day for the first 3 weeks following surgery.  My shoulder will likely never be the same, but I am happy that surgical repair is possible.  Twenty years ago, I would have had to live with a nonfunctional shoulder and chronic pain for my remaining years.




 

 
 
So, no ice climbing the winter of 2018, but that summer I did manage to do some hiking in Switzerland at the base of the Monch and Jungfrau, at the base of Mount Kenya in Africa, and Fua Fua in Ecuador.  I also enjoyed hikes up Grays and Torreys, Longs Peak and Quandary with some of my favorite people! 
 


From the Eiger in Switzerland


The Monch

The Jungfrau from the valley floor

 
Preparing to hike to the base of Mount Kenya.  The weather turned nasty with sleet and rain and it turned out to be
a less-than-fun experience. 
Mount Kenya


We did have great weather on Longs Peak in September 2018
The Narrows on Longs Peak


The final steep ascent of Fua Fua near Otavalo, Ecuador

Torreys Peak with Rachel and Hannah



No comments:

Post a Comment